Cathy67

James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine

47 Percent: Uncovering the Romney Video That Rocked the 2012 Election

47 Percent: Uncovering the Romney Video That Rocked the 2012 Election - David Corn If you watch news at all, you have to have seen the newsbreak of David Corn, Washington editor bureau chief of Mother Jones Magazine.

Although Mother Jones may have a reputation by right wing Republicans as being a progressive magazine, in fact it simply is not; although it can be argued that it leans more left of the center, than right of the center. In this day and age, and the past decade for that matter, that fact is not a negative, in my opinion.

And please, friends, think of me middle left leaning, which I am and strong on women's issues. Happily, my politics do not lean anywhere near the right wing or Republican. In fact, if you have time, take a look at the Republican platform. I’m a woman and the reading of the platform is so very anti-woman, it scares me, simply scares me to death.

Mother Jones, created in 1974, features investigative and breaking news reporting on politics, the environment, human rights, and culture and has been nominated for 23 National Magazine Awards. The stated mission of Mother Jones is to “produce revelatory journalism that in its power and reach informs and inspires a more just and democratic world.” Sorry, see no ‘left wing’ conspiracy theories in the mission statement.

The Pew Research Center, a well-respected think tank organization that provides information on issues, attitudes and trends shaping the United States and the world stated that “67% of the public could identify Romney as the candidate who had made the 47% comment" in May 2012 at an exclusive fundraising event.

In case you’re one of the 33% who did not know of the comment, it was validated by numerous organizations and stated by Republican nominee Mitt Romney (May, 2012) at a Boca Raton, FL at a $50,000 a plate fundraising event at a private mansion. It was a secretly recorded video. Romney, the very candid (at the time)candidate said that 47% of Americans will vote for President Barack Obama "no matter what."

Here is the comment verbatim: "There are 47% who are with him, who are dependent on government, who believe that, that they are victims, who believe that government has the responsibility to care for them. Who believe that they are entitled to health care, to food, to housing."

The entire comment jumps out at me but ‘victims?’ Injured military personnel, victims? Social Security recipients who worked their entire lives, victims? Medicare recipients? Romney considers them all victims? Pardon me, but I don’t consider these folks victims, myself included.

The reason I purchased this e-book is because I know and love David Corn’s writing; he’s s very clear on knowledgeable subjects when I’ve been fortunate to see him on TV. Further, he’s a great political and public policy writer who I’ve been reading for a number of years. His writing is clear, concise and informative. He’s easy on the eyes, helps, too. (Humm, maybe that was sexist of me. Shame on me.)

And I was really curious as to how exactly the video was obtained.

Now we know that grand-son of President Jimmy Carter, James E. Carter IV, a free-lance journalist, looking for a job, combs the Internet looking for obscure political postings and located a portion of the video on YouTube. Carter made the initial call to Corn. From that connection, that contact, Corn corresponded regularly and mostly via Twitter and email, to the person who took the video and remains anonymous to this day. His or her acronym A. O., as Corn states is from Anne Onymous, a Twitter handle obviously an anonymous name.

O.A. trusted Corn to post the video upon mutual terms and the trust was reciprocated by O.A.to not release the video to another news organization. Corn has fulfilled his obligation to O.A. by not actively (to my knowledge) pursuing O. A.’s true identity. I would be surprised and disappointed if Corn did otherwise.

Extremely protective of anonymity, A.O. mailed (so he/she said to Corn) the complete recording (missing about three minutes when the recorder ran out) in a CD format which Corn received when he returned from the Democratic Convention in Charlotte.

Up to date, as much as possible, the e-book includes Corn’s take on the first presidential debate, held only last week. That, too, was an interesting read.

Since I’m a political junkie, much of the information in the short read was a refresher on the recently breaking story, but some portions such as the ‘deep throat’ was and still is a mystery. Fine with me. I don’t need to know but I certainly am appreciative of the recording going public and his/her trust in David Corn for keeping his or her name out of the release. It was a courageous move to make.

While I’m not really happy to know that is how the candidate Romney sincerely feels, I’m glad this came to the attention of the public before the election. I’m glad the American public (67%) were watching the news enough to hear from Mr. Romney in his own words tell how he feels about the 47% of Americans who support President Obama. That confirmed that I am indeed in support of the President when candidate Romney thinks of me as a ‘victim.’ Also, I’m one of the 99%, mentioned earlier this year in the campaign rhetoric. I definitely make under $200,000 (or was it $250,000, but what’s a mere $50,000 when you get in that bracket) a year or anywhere near that amount of money.

As mentioned above, it’s in e-book format only, and well worth the 99¢, less than a cup of coffee.