Cathy67

Flags of Our Fathers
James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine

The Vig (Dismas Hardy Series #2)

The Vig (Dismas Hardy Series #2) - John Lescroart Although I prefer reading from book number one in a series, sometimes it's not all that important. However, in this series, I believe it is important for the development of the main character, Dismas (Diz) Hardy.

He's an interesting guy; an ex-cop, ex-assistant prosecutor and now part-owner and bartender at the Little Shamrock, a local bar. Notice, I didn't say ‘fern bar’ like in TGIF or the like. It’s a neighborhood working man’s bar.

For much of the book Diz is looking over his shoulder after an old co-worker, Rusty Ingraham, and fellow prosecutor has told him a convicted felon they put behind bars will be ‘gunning’ for them. He is getting out of prison and will be looking towards fulfilling his threat to kill them both since they put him behind bars.

After Ingraham is killed, the finger, at one time or another, points to just about every character in the book outside of the 'regulars' from the first in the series, Dead Irish.

And besides the ‘thriller’ aspect of the novel, there is the love life of Diz who we find out early on is back trying to make a go of it with his ex-wife, Jane.

This book didn't seem as 'tight' as Lescroart's first book in the series. And while I got a very early idea of what happened, the 'who dunnit' (which I seldom do, by the way) it didn't take away from my overall opinion of the book. I just think that there was too much unrelated action which didn't add all that much to the main story.

However, I did enjoy getting to know Diz’ friend SFPD detective Abe Glitsky who I found to be an interesting character himself. And his heritage of having a black mother and white Jewish father just added to the underlying story of Dismas' true feeling about race and how those feelings relate to his interaction with others.

Yet, I do enjoy Lescroat's writing a lot and look forward to knowing more about who Diz really is. He's already shown to me that he has that moral compass that I admire in the protagonist.