Cathy67

Flags of Our Fathers
James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine
A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini While mysteries are my favorite genre, I love any well written book.

Khaled Hosseini is, in my opinion, one of the finest living writers today.

I read recently that his third book was being published soon and have had this book on my shelf for a few months so I pushed it up on my TBR list.

This was one of the saddest stories I’ve read in years. It’s hard for me to describe how much I love Hosseini’s writing while at the same time finding the subject matter so very disturbing. He was spot on, I’m sure, in describing the full-fledged assault on women in his home nation of Afghanistan. The stripping (over a period of years) of any control of the limited power that women had over their lives.

The violence described by Hosseini at times made me whence and mostly very uncomfortable.

Although the writing was excellent, I wasn’t anxious to pick up the book and read what happened next because I knew it would not be good. This book was a sad, very sad read for me.

I need a good dose of a light, fun, optimistic book to read. Pollyanna here I come.