Cathy67

Flags of Our Fathers
James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine
The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories (Vintage Crime/Black Lizard Original) - Discovering The Black Mask was like finding a pot of gold.

After realizing how much I enjoyed reading specific authors, I found a common thread, that many were published early in their career by a pulp magazine called The Black Mask.

It was first published in 1920 and continued regular publication with some interruptions until 1951. Many noted authors were able to have their first stories published in the originally 10 cent (I believe) magazine and again, I believe it was similar to a comic book form, however, with covers which were descriptive and bright much like the cover of the anthology here. No surprise that the art covers and the magazines are collector items.

This information above is from me and is sketchy, so anyone who can add with more definitive information, is certainly welcome to do so.

The book itself weighs almost three pounds, so holding it to read is a challenge in itself. However, it is my 'go to' book especially after finishing a book early in the evening. Happily it has The Maltese Falcon which I have wanted to read for a very long time within its covers.

The editor is Otto Penzler and found it quite interesting that he would dedicate the 2010 publication For Michael Connelly: Whose generous friendship can never be repaid. Michael Connelly is one of my favorite current writers.

Since there are 53 stories, I have not read every one yet, but intend to do so in the future. Unfortunately, I did not check off the ones I have read. When I read them (or discover I have read them) I will enter them below in alphabetical order with their own individual rating.

Expect them all to have five stars, well maybe a couple with four stars.

****************