Cathy67

Flags of Our Fathers
James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine
Night - Marion Wiesel, Elie Wiesel Since I've read a number of articles (mostly) and book excerpts about the Holocaust, I wasn't shocked by this diary of this 16 year-old Holocaust survivor. However, I found the book both very powerful and very sad. Sixteen and to have seen such a fight for life, watching friends and family murdered and dying in front of him. And questioning, where is God, has God abandoned me? Faith to believe in God is surely questioned.

Elie Wiesel, winner of the 1986 Nobel Peace Prize, lost his mother, sister and father in the Holocaust; his father being the last to die and the primary reason he lived through the event. He wanted and needed to take care of his father although at times he struggled with taking food for himself and giving to his father to help keep him alive. That struggle of survival for Wiesel is the thread that runs through the story. His guilt at questioning God's existence and of wanting to survive above everything else even giving his father bits of bread that he could eat.

When reading it, I wondered why, to myself, it didn't shock or disturb me to the point of depression (minor or otherwise) but with reading one passage, I noticed that I had a tear running down my cheek that I wasn't even aware of. Obviously it touched me much more than I had consciously thought or recognized.

One, just one of the reasons I read it is because of a review that was simply emotionally overwhelming to me. I would like very much to post it here. However, I asked the Goodreads member if she would object, but haven't heard back from her. When, and if I do, I will post it. It touched her deeply and pushed me over the edge to move Night from many of my 'must-reads' to the very top.

***********

Leanne's review update and link.

With Leanne's ok, happily by the way, the link to her in-depth and moving review, one which moved this book to the top of my 'must read' list Night