Cathy67

Flags of Our Fathers
James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine
Double Indemnity - James M. Cain My fault, all my fault that I didn't like this book more than I did. I was expecting far too much and therefore, was disappointed. Yes, it was good and the ending, was what gave it the fourth star since it was unexpected and surprising. Others might say, "Cathy, you should have seen it coming." I didn't.

In the edition I had, there was a preface of sorts by James Lee Burke, one of my very favorite authors. He was praising Cain and wondering why or why isn't he read in college classes? According to Burke he didn't discover Cain's writing until he was well into his own writing career. Burke says, "I don't think anyone could find a better writer to learn from." Quite a compliment coming from Burke, I'd say.

I love hard-boiled and noir and with that said, I have been trying to read the classics in the genre. Like so many others I've been reading the past few years, I had heard about this book, Cain and the 1944 movie so many times that it was on my 'must read' list.

The storyline was unique and maybe it couldn't get the praise if written today that it got then. I enjoyed Cain's writing; it was what I call sparse, short sentences, to the point which I really love and enjoy.

It's not that I didn't like the book but I expected to be 'blown away' by the storyline and the writing and I just wasn't. Like I said, I think I had my expectations set too high.

I'm going to set the book aside (not sell it like I usually do) and pick it up again in a year and read it again. Perhaps my opinion will change upon a second reading. Here's hoping.