Cathy67

Flags of Our Fathers
James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine
Of Mice and Men - John Steinbeck In my effort to vary my reading from my usual favorite authors, I just picked this up second row of books from behind the first row. Waaaay back there!

I read Grapes of Wrath many years ago, so I knew I liked Steinbeck's writing.

Glad it was around the holidays and all was bright and cheery because this book wasn't. Not a downer, for me, but certainly not an upper.

Great book. I really liked it and felt a connection with the two main characters whose friendship and companionship were of such importance to them.

A simple yet poignant book which touched me. Didn't depress me but made me think about the book for a couple of days. Which is one reason I read.

Adding to that, I mentioned to a non-reader friend that I had just read it and she asked why read such a depressing book? (She had seen the movie.) And then "why did he write that stuff, so depressing? Blah, blah, blah." I just looked at her and I said people write (or should write) what they know and his book was written during the depression. I wonder if Steinbeck wrote anything that wasn't depressing? As I said, she doesn't read, bless her heart.