Cathy67

Flags of Our Fathers
James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine
Sense and Sensibility  - Jane Austen I was willing for want of my daughter, to read Sense and Sensibility. She sagaciously staged and imparted her desire by a shrewd proposal.

The holiday was opportune timing with the gaiety of spirits for all, to deliver however conveyed, and would in part complete her desire.

One portion of her devious effort on my being was simply achieved by concealment of the book among the remaining victuals to be taken abroad.

By me the discovery upon delivery was met with mirth and good humour.

*****

And I began reading to appease my daughter and to determine what has made this such an enduring book.

It was an adventure and a great story. Fortunately for me I read it during its publication (1811) anniversary of 200 years. Sense and Sensibility was wonderful with characters who were described with detail. The love story surrounding the main characters could have been written today except for the customs and manners of the period. It was sad and moving and emotionally charged from beginning to end.

Apparently it's considered the first (modern?) romantic novel but if so, I can see men enjoying the story and I don't know many men who read romance novels.

It's presumptous of me to think that I could come close to a review since this book has been read and reviewed, discussed, and critiqued by so many people who were/are so much more literate and knowledgable than I ever thought about except in my dreams.

The only drawback for me was that it was difficult to read until I got used to the flow of Austen's writing and the words of the period. And trust me, I had the Kindle dictionary with me at all times. The sentence structure was different as you can see with my attempt with the first few paragraphs above using everyday words spoken 1811. It was almost as difficult for me as the first 50 pages of reading.

I started to give four stars but just had to add the fifth. That Sense and Sensibility is still being read in 2011 deserves a star all its own.

By the way, sensibility today means sensitivity. The title meant more sense to me when I found that out by chance. Now I understand...better understand the title and the book. Choices made today certainly determine our future. Those made yesterday, too.