Cathy67

Flags of Our Fathers
James Bradley, Ron Powers
Paydirt
Paul Levine
Borrowed Crime - Cornell Woolrich This Black Mask Magazine cover above I believe to be the edition that the Borrowed Crime story originally appeared. It's dated July on the cover and the artwork reflects the story. However, there is no date, the year, on the cover. (Wiki article on the magazine, Black Mask Magazine

Rand, my Goodreads friend and neighbor in Jacksonville, said that Woolrich was a noir must read author and she was absolutely right. I had never read him until now.

I've had The Black Lizard Big Book of Black Mask Stories where I found this, the last entry in the book.

By the way, the book weighs 11.9 pounds. It's very hard to hold but worth that minor inconvenience for the treasure of stories it contains.

Let me do a check here on Borrowed Crime:

Storyline: Excellent, no unnecessary subplots
Character development: Excellent
Scenery: Clear, vivid mental images
Dialogue: Excellent, reads like you're in the room with the characters listening; no pretense to character's voice
Overall: Clear, clean writing and so noir but on the other end of dark noir

Grade: A+ (or five stars)

Get a chance, Woolrich was an interesting writer and wrote It Had to be Murder which you would recognize as Alfred Hitchcock's Rear Window. Ring any bells? He was a prolific writer of short stories, novels and many films which were based on his work.

Here's his biography from Wiki: Cornell Woolrich

This was my first reading of Woolrich but won't be my last. And now, thanks to Rand, I will recognize his name.